Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Weather at Mac

When I told people I was going to Macalester, they told me to bundle up for the cold. Of course I brought plenty of warm clothing, but no amount of good advise or insulating layers could prepare me for the funky weather I have experienced in the past weeks.

The first month at Mac was lovely. The sun was out all the time, and it was warm, but not too hot. Then, suddenly, we had something like three straight days of rain, which sucked, but was definitely bearable. What nearly knocked my off my feet, however, was when it snowed on OCTOBER 10th. When I woke up and looked out my window, I really thought I was dreaming about skiing somewhere out west. The snow quickly melted, though, so it wasn't much of a big deal.

The real surprise came on Monday, October 12th, when it snowed the entire morning. We probably received about three inches. It actually turned out to be a really nice day because it wasn't very cold, it was just really shocking to see large snow flakes in early October. It was pretty ridiculous.

Naturally, after two snowstorms I assumed that winter was setting in, so I actually started to look through the bags stored under my bed for my long underwear. I really shouldn't have, though, because the week after we had two straight days of 55ยบ sunshine! Over the next couple weeks it snowed two more times, and now we are enjoying some more brisk fall weather in the 40s. After all of this I really have no idea what to expect from the Minnesota climate, so I guess I'll have to keep my entire wardrobe accessible and stay on my toes.

-Danny