Monday, November 16, 2009

Activities Over the Weekend

This past weekend there were a lot of events/activities going on at Mac. I attended most of them, and I thought it would be a good idea to share some of them with you to give you a feel of what a college weekend can be like.

Starting on Thursday at 8pm, all the way until Friday at 8pm, Fresh Concepts, the improv comedy group at Mac, did a 24-hour improv comedy show. I sat in for about an hour to watch some skits on Friday afternoon after my classes, and I had a great time. One skit involving a Scottish couple (and some hilarious Scottish accents) was particularly entertaining, so I'm looking forward to future performances by Fresh Concepts.

On Friday night I saw a breakdance dance-off, hosted by Macalester's hip-hop group, Bodacious. Local breakdance crews from the St. Paul/Minneapolis area came to Mac compete, and showed off their moves. Most of the participants were really young, actually, (one kid looked like he couldn't have been older than 12!) so that added to the entertainment value. I had a really cool time, and it was an awesome event to break up the standard "weekend routine."

On Saturday evening I went to the monthly Poetry Slam, which was a nice event. Any Macalester student is welcome to perform at these monthly slams, and that is what makes them so great. Every slam poet has their own unique rhythm and writing/performing style, so all of the performances are really different. There were funny poems, sad poems, political poems... one girl even sang portion of her poem. I've been to two of these slams so far, and I loved them both.

Also, over the past few days this semester's play, Tartuffe, has been going on. I heard it's pretty good, so I'll definitely be looking into that...

Finally, tonight is the Leonid meteor shower, which a bunch of people are going out to see in the wee hours of the morning. But, I'll have to see just how late I want to stay up, and whether I actually want to go check it out, because I've heard the meteor shower peaks around 3 am... Regardless, I'm sure it will be awesome, it's just a shame it will likely be difficult to see the shooting stars, due to Mac's urban location.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a taste of some of the random activities that can happen on campus from weekend to weekend. Hope this was helpful.

-Danny