Thursday, November 5, 2009

Long Time No See

I first have to apologize for falling behind on my updates. Unfortunately, I fell victim to the evil swine flu, which set me back quite a bit in a number of different ways. Despite my sickly state and the enormous amount catch-up work that ensued, I did get some terrific nicknames out this calamity. My favorite is Swiney Todd, just for the musical reference.

But now down to business. Midterm grades just came in and all that blah blah blah, but I am not nearly type-A enough to try to write an interesting blog post about something as boring as grades (and why they suck). All I will say is that those who put in the time to do the assignments and study for tests are perfectly fine, and oftentimes those who didn't still make it out unscathed. Grades here operate the way they should: as an arbitrary reflection of one's work thus far in the class, NOT as a reflection of one's overall intelligence.

Over fall break, I had the amazing experience of taking a 3 day trip to Chicago (where I had never been before) with Fresh Concepts, Macalester's one and only improv comedy group. I must say that this trip has been highlight of my time at Macalester so far. We trained at a facility called Improv Olympic, which also trained the likes of Tina Fey, Mike Meyers, Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and others. Although I myself have no aspirations to the type of fame those four have achieved, it was nonetheless an awesome experience.

The 8 hour van ride between the Twin Cities and Chicago gave me a fresh perspective on the midwest. I learned that every single gas station in Wisconsin sells at least 4 varieties of cheese curd, for instance.

Overall, the fun and revelry of college life has trumped the stress of grades and other obligations in my experience so far, and I can say the same for almost everyone else I know. Final thoughts: still a happy camper, but in dire need of a real winter coat, not the $18 one I have from Costco.
-Ryan