Friday, February 5, 2010

Jobs

As if college didn't have enough work for you to contend with, here at Mac there's the possibility (sometimes necessity) of a job.

Mine, as you might have guessed, revolves around the Macalester website. Not only do I provide my weekly opinion on this blog; I also go around videotaping different events on campus, writing a few things up for the website, and basically doing a little of this and that when my supervisors give me the order. Personally, I find this to be a very enjoyable occupation and, despite it taking up 8+ hours of my time each week, I still find that I have enough time in the day to do what I need to do.

In my case, a job was very necessary; my budget is rather tight, and while Mac did give me a very good amount of financial aid, I still need to pinch my pennies for the sake of a higher education.

However, I consider myself fortunate to have gotten a rather fun job. Some people may find it boring, but to each his own. I, for instance, would rather not end up being a food server in Cafe Mac, but I've heard others like being able to meet people and work in the kitchens.

Nonetheless, you'll find a whole assortment of jobs on campus. You could wind up behind a desk, in a cubicle, outside in the snow, in the Leonard Center athletic facilities, in the cafeteria, or in any of the academic departments at Mac. You could even become a Residence Assistant after your first year.

Yes, you sacrifice time, but I've met some great people and gotten to know both the campus and the campus facilities much better than I ever would have otherwise.