Friday, July 30, 2010

The Top Five: YouTube Videos

So, like many of you, before I came to Macalester I wanted to know everything about it. As such, my search brought me to Procrastination Heaven - YouTube. I had fun going through all the videos that came up when I searched for Macalester - and related videos that didn't - so I thought I'd share with you my five favorites, some of which were around when I was looking at colleges (oh so long ago, back when "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" ruled the airwaves), and some of which I have discovered since:

5. Macalester Bagpipes/Procession

Any Mac student who's anybody will a) know this song, and the fact that it is called "Scotland the Brave" by heart by the end of their four years here, and b) have seen this flag processional at least once. It's one of my favorite things about events at Mac, as you could probably have guessed based on my flag brownies earlier this summer...

4. Macalester Martial Arts Club

I. Love. This. Club. Their shows are one of the highlights of my semester - this one is from 2009. It's definitely something I'd recommend joining if you're interested!

3. Macalester Sirens - Lady Gaga Medley

This is our all-female a capella group, The Sirens. And Lady Gaga. This happened at the end of the fall semester last year, and I was so excited when I found it on YouTube because of how happy I was when it happened. It's a lot of fun and showcases the talents of several Sirens members!

2. Macalester Trads - Tracks of my Tears

The Trads are our all-male a capella group on campus, and this was one of the first YouTube videos I ever saw of Macalester, so I've always held a soft spot in my heart for it. You get the added bonus of seeing the interior of a lovely dorm hallway, as well as getting a tiny glimpse of the humor that the Trads inject in their shows - pay close attention to the backup singers when he sings "I need you"! Classic.

1. Macalester's Presidents' Day Video

Okay, so maybe you've seen this already, but there's no denying that it's fantastic. Brian Rosenberg, who many students affectionately call B-Ro, really steps it up for this video and highlights not only stuff that's cool to know about Mac for someone just looking at it for the first time, but he puts a lot of great inside jokes in for us students (hegemony, anyone?). Totally awesome.