Thursday, September 30, 2010

Very Creative Homework!

I'm back! It truly has been too long since I have written on this blog! The semester has started quickly and suddenly we are all showing the signs of having been in school for a month, students are slightly tired and anxious, they can be seen sleeping in random places all over campus, the many Macalester squirrels are beginning to fatten up, and the leaves are changing.

It is wonderful to start up new classes though because many of them have fun things that you are 'required' to do for them. For example, I am taking an Introduction to Creative Writing class and we are 'required' to see two different authors or poets speak in the Twin Cities during the semester. Last Monday night my entire class saw Per Petterson, author of Out Stealing Horses and I Curse the River of Time, talk about his work and read some of his work at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis. There were over 700 people in the theater and Per Petterson was an engaging, funny, and charming author. Oh and did I mention that was our homework?

Then the next night, (I promise I'm usually not this on top of getting my work done) I saw Gary Shteyngart, author of Absurdistan and Super Sad True Love Story, speak at a locally owned book store in Uptown Minneapolis. Gary was self-deprecating, funny, and pronounced all the Russian words in his novel correctly, unlike I ever could.

So last week, I got a lot of homework done by seeing two fabulous authors read and talk about their work. The academics at Mac may be rigorous but they are balanced out by amazing activities that we can do in the Twin Cities and talk about in class the next day.