Friday, October 1, 2010

An Average Day

You know, I've been wracking my brain for a topic, and it finally came to me that, as a prospective student, you know very little about the day-to-day schedule of a college student. So I've decided to give you all a snapshot of some typical days for me.

I can't say that I'm the "average Macalester student", whatever that is. But hopefully this can give you an idea of what to expect when you begin college for the first time.

Monday's are my busiest day. I have an 8:30a.m.-9:30a.m. Spanish class, followed by Social Psychology from 9:40a.m.-10:40a.m. From 10:50a.m.-11:50a.m. I come to work here, at the Communications and PR Department, before grabbing some lunch. From 1:00p.m.-5:00p.m. I'm going through metro transit and conducting an ethnographic interview with my informant. Once I return I get some dinner, then begin to do my homework (usually transcribing notes from my interviews) until 7:00. From 7 to 9 I go to Capoeira class. Afterwards I continue transcribing until either midnight or (if need be) I'm too tired to continue.

Tuesdays are much more low-key. I have Ethnographic Interviewing from 9:40a.m.-11:10a.m., then work from 11:20a.m.-12:20p.m. After lunch, I go to my Human Rights class from 1:20p.m.-2:50p.m. Once that's finished I usually end up doing homework until around 11 at night.

Wednesdays are very busy for me. I have Spanish and Social Psych again, work and lunch, then work again until 2:00p.m. From 2:20p.m.-3:20p.m. I have my spanish conversation lab. I grab dinner at 5, then head to Weapons class at 5:45. At 7 I have a 2 credit class that goes until 9.

Thursdays are exactly like Tuesdays, but with Amnesty International club thrown in from 9:00p.m.-10:00p.m.

Fridays I have my Spanish and Psych classes, work until 3:00, and then Brazilian Jiu-jitsu class from 4:30-6:00.

The weekend is always different. Consistently I'll teach my TaeKwonDo class on Saturday and try to get to the sparring class on Sunday. And of course there's homework.

So that's a typical week for me, excluding any events I might go to, any breaks I may take (and studying I may put off), and any friends I might go visit. Even with all this scheduling, every week ends up being so different that no two seem to be the same. This is mostly because of all the different events that Macalester has to offer and that I frequently attend.

Again, I don't know if I'm a typical Macalester student. Some people may have a job, some people may be involved in many or few clubs. Finding out your schedule, what you're comfortable with and what you can manage, is part of the whole college process. Take heart that others will be experimenting, scrambling, and trying to figure things out along with you, even if they don't show it. =)