Friday, October 8, 2010

Biden comes to Macalester!

All right, so I know that the Orange has posted a question for us, but I'm going to be a rebel and talk about something else - something really cool. I'm not usually one to skip class. In fact, this week was the first time I ever have, but I've got to say it was worth it. Why? Because this last Tuesday, Mac was the site of a democratic political rally featuring such celebrities as Al Franken and our very own Vice President, Joe Biden.

Yep. Joe Biden.


This guy.


Shockingly enough, I've never been to a political rally before. The event was held to support Mark Dayton, who is running to become Minnesota's governor. Even more shockingly is that I wasn't aware of this; I'd just heard that Biden would be speaking and, well, how could I miss out?

Now, aside from the way-too-expected slogan of "Republicans are this, that, and this while we, the Democrats, are so much better" (which is not unique only to the Democratic Party), Biden presented his views on the economy - particularly how the poor state of affairs would be affecting college students like us. He spoke at length about his own experiences of putting his children through college, of the heavy costs involved. This, by far, was my favorite part of his speech. While the political promise was nice, I found his stories on being a father to be the most sincere.

He'd said how the longest walk a parent could ever take was up a stairway and to their child's bedroom, to tell them that they would not be going to college anymore because of the tuition was too high or their debt was too large. Politically motivated or not, it's stories like that, garnered from life experience, that really ring true for me.

Oh, and there are some more photos I took:


They sang.


Potential Minnesota governor, Mark Dayton.


Big sign.


Minnesota state senator, Al Franken.


The man himself.


The man's face.