Tuesday, October 12, 2010

music

Good afternoon,


It's been a while since I've blogged, so you'll have to let that slide; I'm trying to get into a rhythm of blogging more frequently :) I'm writing in response to the question that the omniscient Orange posted for us: about our current favourite music or music that we've gotten into since we've been at Macalester. I can't really say that my musical tastes have been affected too much by being at Mac, but this is what I'm really into now:


Current favourite song: When In Rome by Nickel Creek. Actually, anything by Nickel Creek. They're a really amazing bluegrass band that sadly is not together any more, but their harmonies and musicality are simply beautiful. If you like the link I posted (which is to the YouTube video), check out some of the related videos, too... you won't regret it.


Secondly, K'naan. You might be familiar with this Somali rapper because of his catchy duet with David Bisbal which became one of the official songs of the 2010 World Cup held in South Africa this past July. But while I'm one of the first to rave about this song, you should also listen to the original version of Wavin' Flag here. Also listen to Take a Minute and In the Beginning.


The Twin Cities are actually a really great location for music and concerts- with so many theatres and venues in town it's not hard to see why. Just this weekend alone, K'naan and ATB are going to be in Minneapolis! It's always worth your while to get off campus for a bit and catch a show with some friends.


Happy Autumn!