Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Life off campus

One of the things I love most about Macalester (and believe you me, there are a multitude of things that fall under this category) is our location. I like having the option of getting off campus regularly (or not-so-regularly when my work load decides to triple, aka midterms), exploring the Twin Cities and engaging in different cultural activities. Maybe it's the fact that I'm a senior and perhaps won't be in this area next year, but my friends and I have created sort of a "bucket list" of our favorite things to do in the Cities, whether museums, art exhibits, restaurants or concert venues, and recently we've been spending weekends checking some stuff of our list. Here's a brief synopsis of what we've been up to:

Concerts at First Ave - We caught K'naan, The Temper Trap and Pretty Lights. Words just can't describe how much fun we had! First Ave is not only a great venue; they also bring in so many fantastic artists to the area! I can't wait for Girl Talk next semester!! Here's a link to check out other upcoming shows: http://www.first-avenue.com/calendar
Minnesota Wild Hockey Game at the Xcel Center - Coming from a Mid-Atlantic state, I was never exposed to hockey (and the culture of the sport) until I came to Mac. It's such an exciting game to watch, and student nights for the Wild offer great seats at discount prices! It's really a steal! We also got a slice of pizza at one of my favorite spots in Saint Paul, Cosseta's, which is conveniently right across the street from the Xcel Center!
Performance of Spring Awakening by the touring company at the Orpheum - We found discount tickets for a show one Sunday evening and we just couldn't pass up this opportunity! As a German Studies major, I find Spring Awakening endlessly interesting from a critical perspective, and the music is fantastic, too!
Weekend at the Walker - One of my favorite museums in the area is the Walker. They have free admission on Thursday evenings and the first Saturday of every month! What a deal, right?! Checking out their new exhibits (I think my favorite was entitled, "Benches and Binoculars") and hanging out in the Sculpture garden afterward made for a relaxing and joyful Saturday afternoon! It's times like these that I realize just how much I'm going to miss Mac, the Cities and all (the people and places) that I've gotten to know while here.