Thursday, December 9, 2010

How is it almost over already?

It sounds cliche, but it's really true: the older you get, the faster time goes by. The same can definitely be said about each semester here at Mac. I had a great moment the other day when I was looking for a song in my "Recently Added" playlist in iTunes and was confused when it didn't show up. Turns out I had gotten it from a friend over Fall Break... which was legitimately six weeks ago almost.

Oops.

It's just that this time of year goes by SO fast and there's so much to do! This goes for both work and fun things. For example, this weekend consisted of almost dying trying to drive to the men's hockey game on Friday (you live in Minnesota, you have to be zen with the hockey... and dealing with impromptu snowstorms), my study abroad orientation on Saturday morning, and then shopping for, preparing for, and going to the amazing Winter Ball on Saturday evening, followed by hot chocolate and an old-school sleepover - complete with lots of fuzzy blankets - at the house of some of my friends. We stayed up until 5:30 just talking.

Of course my Sunday was jam-packed with homework, but that's the thing here. Some of the classes... I actually really like what we do. This weekend, I wrote, recorded, and rationalized a radio ad for my Rhetoric of Campaigns and Elections class. I'm currently making a documentary for Spanish, and writing a major research paper on peacebuilding operations that has been the most rewarding paper I've ever worked on.

I leave a week from today. Actually, a week from today by this point and I'll be home. It's crazy to think about how I won't be back for nine months after that, but I know I'm going to have a great time in Northern Ireland. My orientation for my program is on Saturday, and I get to meet all the amazing people that I'll be traveling with! It'll be a nice non-academic activity in this busy, busy time. :)