Friday, February 11, 2011

Watching a Revolution at Macalester

One of the coolest things about being a student at Macalester is watching world events unfold with other students. Right now, I'm sitting at work and, instead of doing work, I'm watching a live stream of the protesters in Tahrir Square in Cairo. I'm sitting here with two other students, each of us engrossed in what is going on halfway around the world. These are the moments that make being a Mac student really fun, interesting, and memorable. We talk a lot about being an 'international' school and we have lots of students from all around the world, but I think what really makes Mac a place committed to internationalism is the careful attention that most students pay to world events. That engagement outside of the US is what truly defines Mac's internationalism.
I should probably actually get back to work- but I have to say that it's fantastically cool to hear the protesters shouting "Egypt is Free! Egypt is Free!"