Monday, February 7, 2011

Winter Carnival

Hey there blogosphere!

It's the start of the third week of classes; can you believe it?! If I could have one superpower, it would definitely be to slow down/stop time. It's my last semester at Mac, and I already feel like it's flying by! I've made my "Bucket List" of everything I want to do at Mac/in Minnesota before I leave in May, and I'm moving through the list at a pretty good pace. A bunch of my activities have sentimental value, like curling up with Dr. Seuss in the children reading room on the second floor of the library and playing Ultimate Frisbee on Shaw Field, but other entries on my list are simply "Minnesotan." After all, I'm not sure when I'll be back, so I've got to cash in on this now! Since I'm not from here, I feel like I need to soak up every last drop of uniquely Minnesotan stuff before I leave. In addition to cooking and consuming a hot dish (does anyone have a good recipe I could steal?), I've been attending lots of typically Minnesotan events. For example, in August I went to my first Minnesota State Fair. Most recently, I went to the Winter Carnival in downtown St. Paul! It was great! A few friends and I walked around for a little while, admired the ice sculptures, saw a cute little family warming themselves by an open fire and went ice skating! I hadn't been ice skating since I was a little kid, so it was a mildly anxious, but completely wonderful, enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon! We clocked some serious time on the ice, having a great, albeit cold, time. All levels of ice skating ability and talent were out there with us, everyone was just havin' some fun! I only fell once, which I was pretty impressed by! All things considered, the Winter Carnival definitely gets my stamp of approval-- it's not very far from campus, an easy drive or bus ride away, most activities are free or very reduced in price, and they sell a bunch of the delicious snack foods you'd find at the State Fair!! Mmmmmhmmm I really love those mini sugared donuts.

I think the next thing on my list is to attend a professional sporting event in either of the cities, and I'm absolutely looking forward to that! There are so many great things to do on the weekends (or school nights); I'm not sure I'll get to everything on my list, but it's most definitely worth a shot! If my off campus endeavors have taught me anything, though, it's that I'll miss this place! Macalester IS WONDERFUL!

Just one example of the super amazing ice sculptures at the Winter Carnival: