Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Acapellooza

Friday night was Acapellooza, by far one of my favorite events of the year. A capella groups from Carleton and the University of Minnesota join our wonderful Scotch Tape, Off Kilter, Trads, and Sirens in the Alexander G. Hill Ballroom for a night of singing.

My friends and I pride ourselves on getting good seats--front row, baby!--because several of our good friends (including my roommate) are a capella stars. My friends and I called it: there'd be some Lady Gaga, some Beyonce, and some Adele. We were so right. Beyonce's "Best Thing I Never Had," was a special hit, sung by an unsuspecting U of M man with a voice that could make Jay-Z cry. One group did a hilarious Katy Perry mash-up, revealing the similarity of all her songs (At one point they were actually singing "All these songs sound the same."). Scotch Tape (featuring the lovely Maya) did a lovely rendition of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" full of beautiful belting, harmonious harmony, and delightful dancing, and Off Kilter rocked another classic, "Killing Me Softly."

The "traditional" songs are always fab--each year of Acapellooza the Carleton Nightingales sing a ditty about being fun, awesome women ("More than enough for any Macalester man!") (We forgive them for their heteronormativity--the song is decades old.), and our Trads have a fun song about "Dear Old Macalester."

Perhaps the best part was recognizing Carleton Knights and U of M Gophers from years past, remembering their voices and styles, and feeling as though we had grown up with them over the past 4 years. As seniors, my friends and I have been feeling pretty nostalgic, and it was way fun to say hello to a capella superstars from years past (and sad that some of the best (and hottest) ones had graduated). And of course, the real best part is knowing that our a capella groups are by far the best in Minnesota. (That's right, I went there.) (Mac pride for life.)

--Emma C.
Class of 2012