Saturday, November 12, 2011

First Snow!


So, I make no qualms about the fact that I'm from the North Woods. The above picture gets me nostalgic for home... because that's what I'm used to for much of the year! I'm much more comfortable in the winter than the summer (as all of my housemates heard multiple times this summer), and snow is my favorite weather ever. I have such great memories of sledding as a kid.

The good part about Macalester, for most people, is that you get to miss the coldest part of the year because of J-Term. That doesn't mean you get to miss out on the fun of snow, though! In fact, just the other night, it snowed for the first time. Being in college doesn't mean that you have to act like an adult about it, either...

I was just about ready to fall asleep after several hours of working on a paper, and I was exhausted. I decided to check Facebook before going to bed, and my news feed was FULL of people freaking out because it was snowing. I peeked out my window, and sure enough: big, fluffy flakes were falling gently outside. It was the perfect kind of snow, too. I jumped out of bed (mind you, I'm definitely in my pajamas at this point) and ran downstairs into my kitchen. Two of my housemates were there doing homework and both looked at me as if I was crazy.
"FIRST SNOW!" I declared, probably much more excitedly than I should have.
They stared at me for a few seconds, making me feel properly embarrassed about my level of excitement over something that I - and they, being from similarly northern locales - have seen literally every year since we were born for several months of the year. Then their faces broke into huge grins, and they jumped up (one of them knocked over his chair) and we all ran to the door and ran outside. We stood on the sidewalk looking up into the swirling snow and laughing for a few minutes before heading back inside.

Moral of the story: Just because you're in college doesn't mean you can't get excited about snow and take time to enjoy the little things.

(I also have some great stories about the time when I was a First-Year, made makeshift sleds out of garbage bags and went sledding outside of Dupre Hall, but that's for another time.)

-- Natalie Pavlatos '12