Friday, December 9, 2011

First-year dorm life: "You can’t help but bond with people who you see every morning in that I’m-so-tired-and-it’s-too-early-to-form-coherent-thoughts state of being."

Last night was a perfect example of why I love living in a dorm so much. After a while working on homework and eventually losing my patience with the book I was reading, a bunch of friends came over to my room and we all ordered pizza and hung out, laughing about nothing, procrastinating, and just having a good time.

By far the best part about living in a dorm is the fact that you’re living with your friends. You don’t have to drive to see anyone, you don’t have to walk very far, and you’ve got your roommate to keep you company.

My FYC also happens to be residential, so one of the perks that I get from dorm life is having live-in study buddies. If I’ve got a question about our homework, I can ask my roommate or knock on my neighbors’ door. If I’m looking for someone to bounce ideas off of for an essay, I can check the lounge. Plus, since my FYC is at the bright and early hour of 8:00, we encourage each other to get out of bed and tend to go to breakfast together as well.

I’ll admit, there are certain things that I miss about having my own room. Sometimes it’s hard to find a time when you can Skype without an audience and it would be nice to have a little more space. But at the same time, community living is definitely one of my favorite parts about college and my floormates are some of my best friends. We even decorated our floor lounge for the holidays, had a girls night in (and a general Turck 3 night in, too), and have spent a few all-nighters in the lounge keeping each other sane while cramming for midterms and finals.

Plus, little things, like bumping into each other in the hallway and having a conversation, or walking by people’s doors and writing crazy messages on their white boards are what make dorm life fun. Because let’s face it—you can’t help but bond with people who you see every morning in that I’m-so-tired-and-it’s-too-early-to-form-coherent-thoughts state of being.

- Heather Renetzky '15