Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Artsy-Fartsy

What's more fun than watching adorable animated movies and eating chocolate chip cookies? Doing it for my internship at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, MN.

I am a Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major and a History minor, but after studying abroad last year in Florence, Italy, I fell in love with art and museums. Now I'm thinking about pursuing a career in museum education. Good thing I live in the Twin Cities. A friend of a friend who interns at the Walker heard I was considering this new career path and told me about an opening at the museum. (A lot of cover letter writing and interviewing) and voila! I'm now the Free First Saturday Program intern in the Education and Family Programs Department. The first Saturday of every month the Walker has free admission and puts on tons of programming for children and families. I help plan and coordinate the events, and then run around like a crazy person on the day of making sure everything goes smoothly. Last month we made igloos out of cardboard and valentines for lovely old people at a nursing home in Minneapolis, and at the art station in the greenhouse we made plants and flowers out of yarn and popsicle sticks.

In preparation for next month, our Foreign Flix day, I got to watch all the animated shorts we are going to show and write descriptions about them. Then I made a program and handbill for the movie day and met with the marketing people at the museum to talk about advertising the event. I'm also working on a scavenger hunt for kids to work on in between movie showings. I got to run around the Walker and take pictures of things, pretending to be six years old. When a guard asked me what I was doing, I got to say fancy things like, "I'm updating the scavenger hunt for Christina for the next FFS." It's fun to be professional.

Now that I'm all excited about art, I've been applying to tons of internships for the summer. I got in touch with a Mac alum who works at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in D.C., and she told me a lot about the industry and gave me wonderful advice on my resume and cover letter. She just so happens to be best friends with the head of the internship department at the Smithsonian, and even though the application deadline hasn't happened yet, she got the inside scoop and told me I am almost definitely getting the position. Gotta love having Mac alumni on your side.

Emma Cohen, Class of 2012