Monday, October 8, 2012

A (Wednes)day In The Life


          Today was one of those days that makes me truly appreciate my decision to attend Macalester. I’m a baseball player, an improviser, a history major, a tour guide coordinator, an avid Oakland Athletics fan and someone who truly enjoys his sleep. Today, Macalester helped me bring all of those together.

9 a.m.: Wake up to two simultaneous alarms. I manage to turn mine off before my roommate gets to his. Already a good sign.

9:25 a.m.: Walk to Dunn Bros. coffee shop to share a chai tea with a friend. Casually sit next to a professor of mine working on her next book.

10:50 a.m.: Oceans in World History with Professor Vélez, featuring a caricature of the author we read last night and an analysis of its validity.

Noon: A web content review meeting with admissions and communications staff members. The bonus prize? A free, absolutely delicious lunch from the unparalleled Acme Deli.

1:10 pm: Re-Envisioning Education and Democracy with Professor Kurth-Schai. A vibrant discussion of the pros and cons of reauthorizing No Child Left Behind legislation, held in the sunshine outside of the new Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center.

2:35 p.m.: The Oakland Athletics play the Texas Rangers in the last game of the 2012 regular season. Six friends and teammates crowd onto two couches in our apartment to watch.

3:24 p.m.: A dead sprint across campus to make it on time for a 3:30 p.m. session in the weight room with the baseball team.

4:14 p.m.: A second sprint across campus back to my apartment to watch the rest of the game. This sprint took a bit longer, however, thanks to my tired legs.

5:41 p.m.: A celebratory pizza from the Italian Pie Shoppe across the street: The Oakland A's are going to the Playoffs!

6:24 p.m.: Accidentally log on to the tour guide e-mail account. Spend 20 minutes reviewing the schedule and marveling at our impressively organized, color-coded Google Docs.

7 p.m.: Watch home volleyball match against St. Benedict in the Leonard Center.

8:15 p.m.: Make a third and final sprint across campus to get back home in time to watch most of the Presidential debate.

8:36 p.m.: My roommate brings back a second pizza, unaware that I had eaten one just hours earlier. I manage to grab a slice.

To be fair, not every day at Macalester is like this. I’ve spent my share of time in the library late at night writing essays, and I’ve had days when I haven’t exactly jumped out of bed. That being said, today shows me that Macalester can always remind me of why I decided to come here. Thanks to my classes, friends, and teammates, I wake up every morning knowing I want to be the first one to shut off the alarm.

—Ross Bronfenbrenner ’14

No comments: