Thursday, August 29, 2013

Introduction to 2013-14 Global Ambassador Leaders

Well, it’s the time of year where the baton is passed to a new group of Global Ambassador leaders. Vincent, Luiza, and Jingjing did a great job of starting off the program and now it’s up to us to keep up the good work. Who are we? This blog post is an introduction to us, your Global Ambassador coordinators, and what we did this summer. Enjoy!

My name is Jonathan van Arneman and I’m a sophomore from the beautiful island of St. Martin. If you don’t know where that is you should really look it up cause you’re missing out. I chose to become a part of the Global Ambassadors Program because I love coming up with ideas and events and seeing them come into play. It’s magical. Not to mention that I was a very needy first year student myself so I know what it’s like to have a million questions. So feel free to ask away!

This summer I traveled to La Crosse, Wis., to visit a friend from Mac, and then I travelled to Cedarville, Mich., with the Macalester Christian Fellowship (MCF) to attend an Intervarsity event aimed at building stronger relationships within campus groups. It was an amazing experience and I hope to return next year. The rest of my summer consisted of a month studying contemporary dance in Mexico City, a month volunteering at a Christian camp in the Dominican Republic, short stops in Virginia, Washington D.C., and St. Martin, and then returning to campus early to begin my work as a Global Ambassadors Coordinator. What can I say? It was my best summer ever

Hi! My name is AlizĂ©e Vignon and I’m a sophomore. Although I’m from France, I’ve lived in Italy since I was eight years old. I have lived in many different cities in both countries, so if you need any advice on traveling there you should definitely ask me! I wanted to take part in the Global Ambassadors Program because I enjoy answering questions about my experience at Macalester and helping prospective students get to know the college. I think the GA Program is great and I love the fact that I have a role to play in its development. I can’t wait to work with all of you.

I spent the first two months of summer in Paris, where I interned for the Mexican Delegation to the OECD. I got to attend great conferences during the 2013 OECD Week and to speak Spanish for two months, which I really enjoyed. It was a great experience since I got to see how an international organization works from the inside. I also spent a couple days in Barcelona with a friend from Mac. It was my second time in Barcelona—I really love that city! After my internship, I visited my grandparents in the south of France. They live in Biarritz, a town in the Basque region, which is divided between France and Spain. We then traveled to Salamanca and Portugal, which was awesome since I got to practice speaking the Portuguese I started to learn last semester. Finally, I went to Corsica—an island southeast of France—for two weeks with a friend and her family. I boated, swam, and learned stand-up paddle-boarding, which was so much fun! I also came back to campus early to start work as a Global Ambassador Coordinator and an ISP Mentor.

I can’t wait to see all of you on campus and hear about your summers.


There is a third Global Ambassador but because she is a first year student, and thus full of fresh experiences, we decided she should have her own blog post. So stay tuned! We look forward to an amazing year.